ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Use of IRC (was: Board report due this Wednesday 13th)
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:12:07 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> ...Well, we have not really published it, since IRC is not an official communication
> channel for Apache projects, but Jean-Baptiste and I hang out at #apacheace on freenode....

With my mentor hat on: it's fine to use IRC in Apache projects, but
that should be considered as nothing more than coffee machine
discussions: as soon as discussions become of general interest, or
lead to decisions, they should be summarized and maybe voted upon
here.

I think some projects post IRC logs to their dev mailing lists at
regular intervals, that's also good (with an [irc] subject header for
example) depending on how much that's used.

The basic rule is "at Apache, everything important must happen on the dev list".

-Bertrand

(not trying to be paternalistic, hopefully this info is useful for someone ;-)