ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Getting Started problems with Ace WebUI
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:20:07 GMT
Hello John,

On Jan 27, 2010, at 21:46 , John E. Conlon wrote:

> Angelo van der Sijpt wrote:
>> Hm, this could be something with the web ui. Could you try some other
>> browser?
>>
> Yes.
> Tried IE 7.0 from a windows xp, but could never see any labels for artifacts, features,
or targets.  Ouch.
> So I installed another firefox on that windows box, and I could see the labels for the
elements but like my Firefox on the Ubuntu machine I could not associate lower level elements
to parents.  ???

> Perhaps my server is hosed? What is the best way to clean my webui bundle to start the
server fresh?

Starting the server fresh is a matter of removing the "cache" directory (which is the bundle
cache) and optionally also clearing out the "store" directory (if you want to remove all bundles
from the bundle repository). I'd recommend just clearing the cache.

> I only guessing what the Retrieve Store and Revert buttons mean,

Look at the UI as a client that works similar to how you work with a SVN/CVS repository. Retrieve
the latest version from the server when you start working, and store it to send it back to
the server (which triggers the actual update process). Revert speaks for itself I guess. :)

> not so sure about the Target Static/Dynamic label.

Static/dynamic is a toggle that determines what type of associations are created between artifacts
and features.
If set to dynamic, whenever you associate a feature to an artifact, it will point to the highest
version of that artifact. That allows you to quickly deploy a new version of a bundle for
example. If set to static, the association will keep pointing to exactly the version you associated
it with. If you want to move to a new version, you have to remove the existing association
and create a new one.

> My target is the example one and it displays as 'configuredGatewayID - IDLE'.

That's good. IDLE is the state, and it's what you will usually see. When doing big updates
over slow networks, you might actually catch targets being in different states. If an update
fails, it signals so there too.

>> Autoconf files (or any other artifact that is not a bundle) are not yet
>> supported.
>> That is, the client (the bundles that know how to communicate with the
>> server) supports this, but the web ui does not show these features yet.
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-53 has already been created for
>> this.
>>
> Looked at ACE-53 and saw your comment on AutoConf.  If I use the filebased server and
add to my target the org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar do you think
I can drop in an autoconf.xml file in my folder and it will deploy to the target??

From memory, I think you will need to manually include the resource processor for AutoConf
too. The web UI (when we add that feature) should do that for you automatically, so whenever
you deploy an autoconf.xml file to a target, it will ship the resource processor for you.

Greetings, Marcel