ace-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started problems with Ace WebUI
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:51:31 GMT
Hi Marcel,

Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 0:52 , John E. Conlon wrote:
>
>   
>> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>>     
>>> No, I meant adding the resource processor bundle to the list of bundles you want
installed on the target.
>>>       
>
>   
>> I thought you may have meant this, but if one does add it to the list of bundles,
how will ACE distinguish this 'Customizer bundle'  from others bundle resources that are part
of the Deployment Package?  Will need to specify this somehow as a "DeploymentPackage-Customizer:
true".
>>     
>
> If you stick to the spec, then "customizer bundles" don't provide any mandatory metadata
to recognize them.
When you say 'mandatory metadata'  I think you must be referring to the 
customizer 'bundle's MANIFEST.MF'  versus the Deployment Packages 
MANIFEST.MF.   Right? 
>  However, for ACE we decided that it would be very convenient if a user could just drop
it in, so we add a header of the following form:
>
>  Deployment-ProvidesResourceProcessor: org.osgi.deployment.rp.autoconf
>
> (in this example for a processor that can process resources tagged with that PID)
>   
Makes sense. 

Took a look to see if there was anything special in the MANIFEST.MF for 
the org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and I see 
only the header DeploymentPackage-Customizer: true

Which is interesting because that header is for the Deployment Packages 
MANIFEST.MF, but not is not required by the spec to be in the actual 
bundle MANIFEST.MF. 

I also guess that since it does not have a

Deployment-ProvidesResourceProcessor: org.osgi.deployment.rp.autoconf

  it is something that the ACE team has just not gotten around to adding 
as of yet.
>   
>> Also same question for other customizers.  How to distinguish them from bundles that
are part of the list?
>>     
>
>   
>> Same as well for 'processed resources'.  How to tell ACE their resource processor's
pid?
>>     
>
> There are a couple of other bits that we have to add to ACE to make this whole process
work. You have to provide an implementation of both ArtifactRecognizer and ArtifactHelper,
which provide support services to the client.
>   
This must be where the decoration/annotation of the resources will come in.
> As said before by Angelo, the current UI does not expose enough features yet to make
it work.
>
> Some background information about this can be found on the following page:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ace/object-graph-in-client.html
>
>
>   
Thanks that helps.
>>>> (Seems to me that it should work because it is not associated with a
>>>> foriegn deployment package it is just installed normally on the framework.
)
>>>>    
>>>>         
>>> As far as I understood it, it has to be in the same DP, but it's been a while
since I read the spec. Could you point me to the part of the spec that states that?
>>>
>>>       
>>  
>> Deployment Admin 114.16.4
>> "Bundles exporting the service may arrive in
>> the deployment package (customizers) or may be preregistered (they are
>> installed prevoiusly). Resource processors has to define the service.pid
>> standard OSGi service property which should be a unique string."
>>     
>
> Thanks, that's a bug.
>
>   
>> Actually I sort of like it as a Customizer Bundle although, it makes the Deployment
Package larger.
>>     
>
> Indeed, but it does make the whole process more flexible.
>   
Agree.
>   
>> There was one other subtlety that did not work but would be nice if it did. Auto
Configuration Specification 115.4.4
>>
>> "The OCD elements that are referred from an Object element can be contained
>> in the Autoconf resource, or they can come from the Meta Type service.
>> The reference takes place through the ocdref attribute of the Object
>> element. The Autoconf Resource Processor must first match this name to
>> any OCD elements in the Autoconf resources. If the reference cannot be
>> found in this file, it must consult the Meta Type service (if present) for the
>> bundle that is associated with the PID that is configured."
>>
>> I am using Meta Type for my bundles.  But could not remove my OCD element to let
it find the one on the bundle.  When I try and load a Deployment Package with this defaulting
autoconf.xml I get thrown a Null Pointer and the load fails.   May be some other kind of edge
thing here because it is further complicated by my using ManagedServiceFactories.  I am content
with it work as it is though.
>>     
>
> Feel free to report this as an enhancement. Probably the issue tracker for Apache Felix
is the best place as that's where the code resides.
>
>   
Will do.

thanks again,
John


Mime
View raw message