ace-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started problems with Ace WebUI
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:52:31 GMT
Hi Marcel,

Marcel Offermans wrote:
> [...]
server and add to my target the org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
do you think I can drop in an autoconf.xml file in my folder and it will deploy to the target??

>>> From memory, I think you will need to manually include the resource processor
for AutoConf too.

>> Did you mean manually install the autoConf on the target gateway?
>>

> No, I meant adding the resource processor bundle to the list of bundles you want installed
on the target.

I thought you may have meant this, but if one does add it to the list of
bundles, how will ACE distinguish this 'Customizer bundle'  from others
bundle resources that are part of the Deployment Package?  Will need to
specify this somehow as a "DeploymentPackage-Customizer: true".

Also same question for other customizers.  How to distinguish them from
bundles that are part of the list?

Same as well for 'processed resources'.  How to tell ACE their resource
processor's pid?

>> To become more familiar with DeploymentAdmin, configs and the ACE
>> backend, I decided to experiment with a real deployment package and
>> install it on the gateway through a felix.webconsole.  On the target
>> gateway I installed the following bundles:
>> org.apache.felix.dependencymanager.jar
>> org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> /org.apache.felix.webconsole-2.0.6.jar
>>
>> When I try to load a deployment package that contains an resource like:
>>
>> Name: autoconf.xml
>> Resource-Processor: org.osgi.deployment.rp.autoconf
>>
>> I get a:
>>
>> org.osgi.service.deploymentadmin.DeploymentException: Resource processor for resource
'autoconf.xml' belongs to foreign deployment package

> That is correct, according to spec, as the resource processor has to be shipped as part
of the deployment package. Of course we could discuss if we should relax that requirement,
but that would be going beyond what the spec dictates (and it makes more sense to dynamically
install resource processors anyway).

>> (Seems to me that it should work because it is not associated with a
>> foriegn deployment package it is just installed normally on the framework. )
>>

> As far as I understood it, it has to be in the same DP, but it's been a while since I
read the spec. Could you point me to the part of the spec that states that?

Deployment Admin 114.16.4
"Bundles exporting the service may arrive in
the deployment package (customizers) or may be preregistered (they are
installed prevoiusly). Resource processors has to define the service.pid
standard OSGi service property which should be a unique string."

Actually I sort of like it as a Customizer Bundle although, it makes the
Deployment Package larger.

>> If I take the resource processor off my target gateway and include it in
>> my deployment package I get passed the above error but I keep getting:
>>
>> org.osgi.service.deploymentadmin.spi.ResourceProcessorException: Supplied configuration
is not conform the metatype xml specification.
>> 	at org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf.AutoConfResourceProcessor.process(AutoConfResourceProcessor.java:98)
>> 	at org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin.spi.ProcessResourceCommand.execute(ProcessResourceCommand.java:92)
>> 	at org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin.spi.DeploymentSessionImpl.call(DeploymentSessionImpl.java:71)
>> 	at org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin.DeploymentAdminImpl.installDeploymentPackage(DeploymentAdminImpl.java:215)
>>

>> Tried various simpler autoconf.xml files even some out of the compendium (just to
see if I can get a different error besides
>> the parsing error) but can't get can't get passed the above parsing error.  I can
get cruder parsing errors but the one above
>> is one that is thrown if no metadata is produced.
>>

> This should work. Again, from memory, I do remember some examples in the spec being wrong.
This should work! To better debug it, I don't have any advice beyond actually running it in
a debugger and tracing through the code that way.

>> Perhaps I am doing something glaringly wrong?
>>

> No, you're on the right path.
>
> Within luminis we use a GUI to edit these configurations, so I quickly used it to generate
an example:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <MetaData xmlns:metatype="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/metatype/v1.0.0">
> 	<OCD name="ocd" id="ocd">
> 		<AD id="firstName" type="STRING" cardinality="0" />
> 		<AD id="lastName" type="STRING" cardinality="0" />
> 	</OCD>
> 	<Designate pid="myfirstpid" factoryPid="" bundle="mybundle" merge="false" optional="false">
> 		<Object ocdref="ocd">
> 			<Attribute adref="firstName">
> 				<Value><![CDATA[Marcel]]></Value>
> 			</Attribute>
> 			<Attribute adref="lastName">
> 				<Value><![CDATA[Offermans]]></Value>
> 			</Attribute>
> 		</Object>
> 	</Designate>
> </MetaData>
>
> Let me know if you have more luck with this one (you probably need to edit it a bit so
it applies to the right bundle, etc.

Yes I did!

Noticed that there are a lot of differences from the ones I was using.
Here is one from the spec, which I patterned mine after.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<metatype:MetaData xmlns:metatype=
    "http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/metatype/v1.1.0">

    <OCD id="ChatConfiguration">
        <AD id="server" type="String">
    </OCD>

    <Designate pid="com.acme.pid.Chat"
        bundle="http://www.acme.com/chat.jar>
    <Object ocdref="ChatConfiguration">

        <Attribute adref="server" name="serverurl"
            content="http://chat.acme.com"/>
    </Object>
</Designate>
</metatype:MetaData>

There was one other subtlety that did not work but would be nice if it
did.
Auto Configuration Specification 115.4.4

"The OCD elements that are referred from an Object element can be contained
in the Autoconf resource, or they can come from the Meta Type service.
The reference takes place through the ocdref attribute of the Object
element. The Autoconf Resource Processor must first match this name to
any OCD elements in the Autoconf resources. If the reference cannot be
found in this file, it must consult the Meta Type service (if present)
for the
bundle that is associated with the PID that is configured."

I am using Meta Type for my bundles.  But could not remove my OCD
element to let it find the one on the bundle.  When I try and load a
Deployment Package with this defaulting autoconf.xml I get thrown a Null
Pointer and the load fails.   May be some other kind of edge thing here
because it is further complicated by my using ManagedServiceFactories.
I am content with it work as it is though.

>> Sorry if I am outside the scope of Ace and into a more generic
>> discussion of Deployment Admin.
>>

> It's in scope as far as I'm concerned. We initially developed and donated the DA implementation
to Apache Felix because at that time, ACE did not exist as an open source project yet (and
it makes sense because it's a compendium service, so Felix is a great place to maintain that).
However, it's an important part of ACE so I do think it's in scope to discuss it here.

Good to hear that I have not left the building with Elvis;-)

kind regards and thanks for all the great work,

John