ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Use of IRC (was: Board report due this Wednesday 13th)
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:36:55 GMT
Hello Bertrand,

On Jan 12, 2010, at 10:12 , Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Marcel Offermans
> <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>> ...Well, we have not really published it, since IRC is not an official communication
>> channel for Apache projects, but Jean-Baptiste and I hang out at #apacheace on freenode....
>
> With my mentor hat on: it's fine to use IRC in Apache projects, but
> that should be considered as nothing more than coffee machine
> discussions: as soon as discussions become of general interest, or
> lead to decisions, they should be summarized and maybe voted upon
> here.
>
> I think some projects post IRC logs to their dev mailing lists at
> regular intervals, that's also good (with an [irc] subject header for
> example) depending on how much that's used.
>
> The basic rule is "at Apache, everything important must happen on the dev list".
>
> -Bertrand
>
> (not trying to be paternalistic, hopefully this info is useful for someone ;-)

Not taken that way at all.

I think it is very useful to know and I was fully aware of it, which is why I had not mentioned
it at all. On the other hand, maybe it's better to describe how to use these communication
channels. For now, the things we discuss are just "coffee machine chat", btw. :)

Greetings, Marcel