ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Getting Started problems with Ace WebUI
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:11:06 GMT
Hello John,

On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:25 , John E. Conlon wrote:

> from the webconsole I tried to uninstall my current Deployment Package and got thrown
a - IllegalStateException Not implemented.
> by the org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin.AbstractDeploymentPackage.uninstall(AbstractDeploymentPackage.java:219)

That is correct, we did not yet implement those.

> Seems like these are fundamental functions in the DA.  Don't know the ACE backend but
I thought it relied on Deployment Admin?  If so doesn't this create a similar problem for
ACE as well?

Well, actually we don't use uninstall in ACE at all, which is why this does not pose a problem.

In ACE we use DA this way:
 - Each new target starts out as an empty OSGi framework with just a management agent installed.
 - All artifacts sent to a target get bundled in one DP specific to that target.
 - Every time you change some aspect of the configuration for a target, we create a new version
of the DP for it.

We do that so we can use the transactional aspect of DA to ensure that any change will either
install completely or not at all.

So, if a user decides he/she does not want any artifacts installed on a gateway, what we technically
do is create yet another version of that DP, but this time one with zero artifacts in it.
That's why we never use "uninstall" in ACE and that's probably the most important reason why
we did not yet implement it.

> How difficult would you say it is to implement these? ( I have a time frame I have to
work within and I wonder if I can do the implementation or hold off for the time being?)

I don't think it would be too difficult. Probably the hardest part is studying the existing
implementation, but have a look. I'd be happy to assist you as much as I can.

Greetings, Marcel