ace-dev mailing list archives

From Toni Menzel <t...@okidokiteam.com>
Subject Re: Status Mavenization of ACE
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:43:38 GMT
Hi all,

Today i managed try out some thoughts on how to do the ACE Target story
(used & loved in the ant build version).
Basically those target definitions are sets of ace bundles and some extra
components (like dependencymanager & configadmin etc.)
Because this is also a very good way to test our bundles (using pax exam), i
was looking for a way to
- reuse the maven infrastructure
- reuse this definition as much as possible for different scenarios

For that reason there is now a artifact called "ace-target-devgateway" which
holds the nessessary set of bundles in its pom (as regular dependencies).
When this is built, it just copies the fully resolved pom (with all version
details and that) into its jar artifact (under epom.xml, just look at the
jar if in doubt).
At this point we can use it to provision any pax runner and pax exam
directly, as shown in the first Integration Test in (new) artifact
ace-integrationtests.

With this, i think it is pretty easy to continue stacking together the
target definition(s), running "tests" (currently it just checks if every
bundle resolves+starts), interpreting the possible error log and fix BND
settings as appropriate.

One more word on the ace-target-devgateway stufff:
currently there is just the bundlelist (in pom), but i am playing with
embedding & extracting the default settings (as before in those "conf"
folders) in them as well. Not sure how this turns out, yet.

Keep it going.
@Brian, will contact you later tomorrow. Saw you are in the US timezone.

Toni

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Brian Topping <topping@codehaus.org> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Toni Menzel wrote:
>
>  No worries, man.
>> You can feel lucky, cause it was a more messy work organizing the mass of
>> resources into single artifacts than anything else.
>> ;)
>>

> Well, it might have been a problem for multiple people to work on at the
> same time too!
>

>> Now, i you could check things out and try to make a dev-server  or
>> dev-gateway target (use pax runner to easily grab the maven artifacts
>> using
>> the mvn:<groupId>:<artifactId>:<version>).
>> Not sure, are you aware of Pax Runner ?
>>

> Yes, I am familiar with it, but getting experience with tools like this is
> a great goal for me.
>

>> When trying, you will see really fast that things don't work out because
>> the
>> bundles are (mostly) default bnd settings.
>> You should compare the contents+manifest of the maven build artifacts and
>> the ones from core/deploy/bundles (built by ant).
>>

> Yes, I've done this kind of thing before, for an Ant build conversion that
> had 80 sub-builds.  They had written a plugin for Ant that could read
> Eclipse metadata for dependency management.  Nobody at the company was left
> to know how the build worked, but there were still a dozen people who used
> it on a daily basis, it was weird.

hehe ;)