ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Maven plugin defaults for exporting packages
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:31:16 GMT
After taking a look at the mavenization so far, comparing some manifests between Ant and Maven
builds, there was one thing that caught my attention. A lot of bundles generated by Maven
seem to export packages, even without explicit statements in osgi.bnd or pom.xml files.

Looking at the documentation of the plugin at:
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html

There is a section about default behavior, which states:

> <Export-Package> is now assumed to be the set of packages in your local Java sources,
excluding the default package '.' and any packages containing 'impl' or 'internal'.

Personally, I really don't like a default that exports anything unless you explicitly state
you want to do this. Exporting something should be a very concious decision, and not exporting
anything should be the default. I definitely want to see in my pom.xml or osgi.bnd what is
exported.

Luckily the plugin also provides a way to override this default behavior:

> It is possible to override any of these values (except Bundle-ManifestVersion) just by
specifying the desired value in the plugin configuration section of the POM file.

I would be in favor of adding a single line to our global ACE configuration that states:

<Export-Package></Export-Package>

Greetings, Marcel