ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Terminology
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:46:16 GMT
On Nov 12, 2009, at 15:50 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote
>> Apart from confusing some users, I also discovered that not everybody
>> uses the same terms. However, I am sure we can reach some kind of
>> consensus on this list!
> Yepp, I guess this will be interesting discussion as we might get
> different suggestions for the same thing :) But I guess we can
> manage that.
>
> My first suggestions would be:
>
> - Artifacts
> (Bundles would be wrong and components could be confusing as these are
> not components in the oo sense)

Artifacts is indeed the term that is used in Deployment Admin too for
this, where everything is an artifact (bundle, config, ...).

The reason we used component instead was that this is a very generic
word for "something that is a part of a larger whole" (see your local
dictionary) and as such should appeal to a larger group than just
"developers".

But I do see your point about component in the sense of object
oriented design having a different meaning.

The dictionary describes an artifact as "an object made by a human
being". In that sense it is even more generic than component because
it does not mention it being "a part of a larger whole" here.

> - Features (for Groups)

That would align them a bit better with for example Apache Felix
Karaf, that defines features as being a set of bundles (plus
configuration).

> - License is the tough one. Maybe its something like "product"? Or
> "distribution"?

or "configuration" (would clash a bit with "configuration admin
artifacts")
or "assembly"
or "composition"

Greetings, Marcel