ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Terminology
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:03:55 GMT
On Nov 12, 2009, at 16:27 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Just for your information, here's the terminology used in
> AutoDeploy. Maybe we can find some matching points.

Thanks!

> Environment : an environment is a container which hosts update units
> and define the update plans.

This is very much like the OSGi framework that is a container for
bundles and configuration data.

> Update Units: an update unit is a resource which can be included in
> one or more steps of an update plan. AutoDeploy supports the
> following update units:
>  JEE application server (weblogic, websphere, jboss)
> JDBC data sources
> JMS servers/queues/topics
> Shared lib
> JNDI aliases
> Location (local or remote filesystem)
> System command
> JEE artifacts (ear/war)
> Configuration files (with regexp substitution)
> Database (with SQL scripts execution)

Sounds like these map pretty well onto our "components" or
"artifacts". The things you use to compose your application.

> Update Plan: an update plan is the workflow description of an
> update. It mixes update units by steps to perform an update logic.

So it describes the order in which these update units are deployed. Is
there other logic or even scripting involved there? Perhaps answering
that is a bit off-topic btw... ;)

Also, do you have any kind of grouping mechanism to group for example
JEE artifacts that somehow "belong together", like the groups (or
features) we're discussing?

Greetings, Marcel