ace-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Terminology
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:05:19 GMT
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2009, at 16:46 , Marcel Offermans wrote:
>
>>> - Features (for Groups)
>>
>> That would align them a bit better with for example Apache Felix
>> Karaf, that defines features as being a set of bundles (plus
>> configuration).
>
> Another related term is the "profile" that Java EE 6 introduces, which
> can also be explained as a set of bundles that form the infrastructure
> to build applications upon. Applications also depend on profiles. All in
> all, I think "profile" sounds more heavyweight than "feature" or "group".

Hmm, ok, and do you think that "heavywight" is better or is it worse? :)
Now, I think profile in the general sense is a little bit different than
what we are talking about :) I think in this sense profile is more used
like a flavour, so while you have different profiles, you get the same
think but differently assembled. So there is usually a connection
between profiles - and this is intended.
Whereas there is usually no overlap between features - although it is
possible of course.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler