ace-dev mailing list archives

From Toni Menzel <t...@okidokiteam.com>
Subject Re: Migration to Pax Runner...
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:28:35 GMT
Hey,
Just attached a new patch on ACE-32 which also includes the new pax runner
version 1.2.1.

Plus:
1. Flexible Development Targets
with "ant package" you will get pax runner based configuration scripts for
the afromentioned targets in the usual deploy/target/ folders.
(runDev.sh, runDev.bat)

2. Standalone Outputs (just as before, but flexible as paxrunner generates
many things)
with "ant zip" a pax runner instance will pre-load all requirements and
config files and zip them up at the usual release folder.

3. Single Point of Entry
All target relevant configuration now sits in
conf/{target}/platform.properties (just parameters) and platform.setup (all
bundles required as well as pax runner options).
Target Framework and Version "can" be set in platform.properties but is
super-configured by settings made in "packageDevelopment" and
"packageProduction" targets in build.xml.
(currently it is Felix 2.0.0)

Though we should really change the artifacts to at least match some the
snapshot version classifier.
(0.8.0-SNAPSHOT i would suggest). Cause this shows there is already some
meat behind (liQ).

This way, we could easily go on with ACE-18 (maven exports)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Marcel Offermans <
marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:

> Hello Toni,
>
> On Sep 21, 2009, at 11:18 , Toni Menzel wrote:
>
>  Glad you asked, Angelo and I had further discussions on gchat and agreed
>> on
>> a way to go.
>> Here's the current status (lengthy version;)
>>

> Thanks for the warning! ;)
>
>  PART 1: General things
>> First of all, what makes ace assemblies so different from other Pax Runner
>> setups:
>> a. Artifacts are flat file artifacts up until now (See
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-18 for some thoughts on this)
>> b. Artifacts are highly configured through config files who must be at a
>> certain place on startup
>>
>> We can (and should) overcome [a] easily. (see ideas on using Pax Runner
>> Profiles in part 3)
>>

> Agreed, see below for comments on ACE-18.
>
>  [b] means:
>> we cannot just provide a single Pax Runner config file. We need to copy
>> those configuration files to a certain position.
>>

> Like you say, a target consists of code (a set of bundles) and
> configuration (now done with our configurator which reads configuration
> files from a directory, but essentially anything that imports Configuration
> Admin configs should do, we also have code to use the XML format defined in
> the Auto Config section, which is used together with the resource processor.
>
> In the end we should be able to deploy all these targets using deployment
> packages (containing bundles and configuration).
>
> Have you thought about adding some kind of support for configurations to
> Pax Runner (except the system properties)?

Not yet, feel free to suggest. ;)

>  PART 2: Result of discussion so far
>> We need a number of pre-defined targets: a default target, a default
>> server,
>> a server-obr combo, etc.
>>
>> For each of these, we would like a 'release' version containing a
>> framework
>> of our choice (latests felix), and does not require anything else at
>> runtime.
>>
>> The 'dev' version is based on pax runner, can be configured to use any
>> framework you like, and contains possibly some additional bundles (e.g.
>> for
>> logging)
>> So, that would lead to something like six target xml's, resulting in
>> twelve
>> directories in the deploy/target directory.
>>
>> Each of those targets will be produced by Pax Runner.
>> Release targets will have no pax runner reference and will be static to
>> known (recommended?) target configuration set.
>> Benefit of using Pax Runner even in that scenario instead of the current
>> way
>> is (amonngst others): simple to switch to a different frameework and
>> version, same "language" used to define the assembly as in dev- versions
>> (who will be just a pax runner config file).
>>

> Agreed.
>
>  PART 3: Ideas on using profiles
>> One other thing i see  as well:
>> Pax Rummer has the notion of profiles / composites.
>> So, if we decide to publish ace artifacts to a snapshot repository (maven)
>> somewhere, we can add ace profiles for each target here:
>> https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/projects/pax/runner-repository/.
>>

> Can we also make this work when deploying to your own local Maven
> repository (keeping everything you need local)?

yes, we can !

>> This would make starting with ace very simple:
>> ./pax-run.sh --profiles=org.apache.ace.gateway
>> and in exam:
>> profile("org.apache.ace.gateway")
>>

> Agreed, I would definitely like this if we can find some way to provide the
> configuration along with the bundles.
>
> I would also like something like:
>
> ./pax-run.sh --profiles=org.apache.ace.framework-with-ma
> -Ddeploymentpackage=file:dp/ace-server.dp
>
> For launching with a deployment package.

Already thought about it before.
Actually more in a form of a url handler like so:

pax-run.sh dp:composite:file:local/profile/pr.composite

where: dp:[CompositeURL] turns any composite (which is a list of bundles as
plain test file, which are the root of pax runner profiles) into a
deploymentpackage..

This way we can do it easily. Will have a look at it soonish.

--
Toni Menzel
Independent Software Developer