ace-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Interest on Apache ACE and possible relationship with AutoDeploy/Kalumet
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:18:46 GMT
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, I won't be at ApacheCon US, I'm stuck with a customer at the same time.

Concerning ACE and AD, I need to see ACE deeper to provide a correct overview.

That I can say about AutoDeploy:
- AutoDeploy is composed in two parts: the agents are deployed on target servers and WebAutoDeploy.
The agents call WebAutoDeploy (http WS) to retrieve the configuration. WebAutoDeploy is a
webapp based that interact with the agents using webservice. WebAutoDeploy is ajax based (echo2
framework) and the configuration is stored in a xml file. It's a central tool to manage all
environments with a journal of all actions performed.
- you define resources: JEE (datasource, connection pools, jms servers, jms queues, ear/war
artifacts, etc) or non JEE (sql scripts, files/location, etc). After you define an "update
plan" mixing the resources. You have notifier (informing the users when an update will be
launched) and publisher (informing the users about that the update has done).
- as it uses Apache Commons VFS, all resources (for example artifatcs location) can be local,
in a archive (zip, tar.gz, etc) or remote (http, ftp, cifs, etc) and you can combine it.
- it embed a quartz scheduler to "fire" an update automaticaly.
- it supports JEE applications servers like weblogic, jboss, websphere.
- via non-JEE software resources, we manage ESB (ServiceMix of course ;)), web server (Apache
httpd), printout systems (streamserve, ...), etc.

I began the project around 5 years ago and the users pool is growing up ;).
The current stable release is pure java with apache projects dependency (commons vfs, commons
digester, xerces, ..). Feel free to take a look on the source code.
The trunk is now OSGi based using Felix (framework for now, I think Karaf soon), CXF, etc.
I use some bundles that I have done for ServiceMix.

Before giving a feedback on relatinship between ACE and AD, I would like to checkout the ace
source code to get a better understanding of the ace scope, provided features, etc. I will
begin tonight.

Regards
JB