ace-dev mailing list archives

From Toni Menzel <t...@okidokiteam.com>
Subject Re: Building and running ACE...
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 07:54:21 GMT
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Marcel
Offermans<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> I just finished working on finishing ACE-19, renaming all packages from
> net.luminis.liq.* to org.apache.ace.* and related references. Now that
> everything builds and passes the tests again (running "ant release") the
> next step will be to actually try and create something that can be used.
>
> I would like to propose we work towards a useable version (and then a
> release) in two steps:
>
> 1) Create a version of the server that works a bit like the Apache Felix
> file installer, but on a server: you can create folders for each target you
> want to deploy to, with subfolders for every version holding files (bundles,
> etc.) for that version. As long as you only have a few targets, versions and
> bundles, it's still possible to manage deployments like this.

So, you mean a FileInstaller - Ace Client ? Good idea!

> 2) Create a UI for the client (probably a web based UI is a good choice) and
> create a version of the server that can be managed with that client. The UI
> handles all situations where you have a lot of targets, versions and/or
> bundles.

Yep. Both make sense. Thow, once web console is mature, i guess (1)
will be dropped pretty soon.
As this will be not the same "simpleness" File Install profits from.
How about Jira items for those? Also, it would be gread to have a
narrative document / tutorial
to show how the current "targets" (sample configs) really get to work.
For me, i am missing the higher meaning of licenses  currently.
once this is clear, i probably would like to help out on (1) and (2)

cheers !

--
Toni Menzel
Independent Software Developer