ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <Bram.deKrui...@gxwebmanager.com>
Subject RE: deployment, cache and startlevels
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:15:18 GMT
Marcel wrote:

> The OSGi spec states that bundles and their states are persisted and
> restored when starting up again, so cleaning the cache is something
> you should not normally do. It is used more often during development,
> because then you often try to launch a framework with bundles that
> might still have serious bugs in them, causing updates to fail, etc.
> In a production environment I would say you don't need to clear the
> cache on every launch.

I was afraid you were going to say that :P As I recall we were experiencing
some strange wiring issues a long time ago. These were 'resolved' by
clearing the cache at startup. I guess we kind of kept it once it was in
place also because with many updates the bundlecache has a nasty habbit
of getting very(!) big with lots of bundle versions that just sit there
doing nothing sensible. Maybe I don't want a clean but rather a garbage
collector :)

> DA and start levels are separate concepts. One thing you could do is
> to actually provide some kind of "configuration information" that
> determines the start levels of the bundles. That configuration
> information could then be deployed as part of the same deployment
> package and sent to a bundle that translates this information into
> instructions for the start level service. We did not implement such a
> thing yet, but that should not be hard.

Aha! Thanks for clearing that up :) I guess that should be done using
a Resource Processor of some sort? If I feel lucky later on this week
I'll have a look at this.

Regards,
Bram