ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <Bram.deKrui...@gxwebmanager.com>
Subject deployment, cache and startlevels
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:50:23 GMT
Hi all,

Great to see this project taking off. With some minor troubles I got a first integration with
our application (used the dev-gateway as a template) working with the filebased server example
:) This has however triggered some questions about how things are gonna work in the real world.
Guess they are a little bit ace/felix borderline but IMHO relevant to ACE so I post them here.

First, I noticed that the snapshot DeploymentAdmin uses a 'persistent' data file to keep track
of DeploymentPackages between restarts of the framework. Unfortunately Felix bundle cache
puts this data in the cache dir which is cleared when booting with org.osgi.framework.storage.clean=onFirstInit
which is what we like do to keep things clean. As a consequence DeploymentAdmin can't keep
track of things between restarts. How should we manage this? I am I doing a stupid thing by
always cleaning the cache? Is Felix wrong by putting 'persistent' data in a 'cache' dir? Is
there some way around this that I am not aware of?

Second, I do not understand how to map DeploymentAdmin and the startlevel concept together.
I do not see a way to manage startlevel in a DeploymentPackage and can't find a reference
to it in the spec. In my current setup just puts everything in the default startlevel which
is not exactly what I would want eventually. I hope someone can enlighten me :s

Thanks,
Bram