ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: First code visits
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 09:28:40 GMT
Hello Toni,

On May 18, 2009, at 11:18 , Toni Menzel wrote:

> On the railway, i had a look in the ace codebase, where i encountered
> the tight java 6 constraint. With no wifi and just java 5 on the spare
> notebook.. it was a stopper.

Ok, sorry about that.

> So, why is that in general (ace requirement?) and is there a special
> reason why even basic stuff like the ant bundle-project plugin is
> class compatible just to java >= 6 ?

There were two reasons (both of which can be debated):
1) we had a Java 6 dependency anyway for the Swing client
2) Java 5 will be end of lifed by Sun this year anyway

We did not donate 1) so that is no longer that valid.
There are other parties (such as Apple) providing and supporting Java 5.

> Is the plugin source available yet ? Or is it possible to get a more
> compatible (lower java versions) build (if possible at all).

Yes, the plugin source is available (for some time now):
http://opensource.luminis.net/wiki/display/SITE/OSGi+Bundle+Ant+Task

It should build on Java 5.

Greetings, Marcel