We’re dealing with a strange definition of “safe” here – but that would be the intention.  For tablets that have assigned wals that it cannot recover and you just want to move on, then deleting those entries will get those tablets to stop trying to recover the info and move on.

You could check to see if the referenced files exist and if they have any size – that would give you an idea of what magnitude of loss you will be dealing with.

One everything is back, you may want to consider a full compaction as a verification and root out any other issues.

Ed Coleman

From: Dickson, Matt MR [mailto:matt.dickson@defence.gov.au]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 10:31 PM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: RE: ASSIGNED_TO_DEAD_SERVER #walogs:2 [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

UNOFFICIAL

So when scanning the metadata table I get a bunch of rows. One has a column family of log:…..  and this one references the wal’s.  There are actually two rows with separate wal’s listed.

Ie:

4d4;blah  log:host_1:997/hdfs//…/accumulo/wal/…/111111111111111   []   hdfs://…/accumulo/….

4d4;blah  log:host_1:997/hdfs//…/accumulo/wal/…/222222222222222   []   hdfs://…/accumulo/….

Is it safe to remove both of these rows?

Looking at other ‘good’ tablets they have no wal row.