accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Arvind Shyamsundar <arvin...@microsoft.com>
Subject Uniquely identifying metrics with multiple tservers per node.
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2019 00:38:44 GMT
Hello!
We are testing Apache Accumulo 1.9.3 on Microsoft Azure. For centrally gathering metrics we
are sending Accumulo and Hadoop metrics to collectd's statsd plugin (which acts as a statsd
sink), which in turn forwards those metrics to an Azure monitoring service. The hadoop-metrics2-accumulo.properties
looks like this:

*.sink.statsd.class=org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.sink.StatsDSink
accumulo.sink.statsd.server.host=127.0.0.1
accumulo.sink.statsd.server.port=8125
accumulo.sink.statsd.skip.hostname=false             # we have tried setting this to true
and also to false, but that still does not include the service instance.
accumulo.sink.statsd.service.name=master

Everything works great when we have the default of 1 tserver per node. However, when running
2 tservers per node (Accumulo 1.9.3), we find that the metrics being reported (TabletServer.tserver.general.ingestRate
for example) are not qualified / distinguished with the service instance ID (1_ or 2_) in
the name. It appears as though only the values for one instance are being sent. As a result,
we are unable to accurately measure aggregate metrics (as an example, the value of ingestRate
recorded through this route is ~ 50% of what is shown on the Monitor UI).

If someone has an example of how to configure hadoop-metrics2-accumulo.properties and multiple
tservers per node in a way that the counter names would be distinguished by their service
instance ID, that would be really helpful.

Thank you!

- Arvind.