accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [External] Re: Accumulo 2.0 and the proxy Server
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:34:35 GMT
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 2:03 PM Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> Architectural interest in the feature/product is a very different thing
> than interest in maintaining and testing said product ;)
>
> I read Christopher's reply in a "there isn't interest in contributing
> more to the service by the current, active developers" tone, in the
> spirit of ASF's "do-oracy" approach. We would be very welcome for people
> to come along and do more with it and separating it from the core
> repository helps individuals see the fruits of their labor much more
> quickly.

It's not so much that "there isn't", but an observation that "there
hasn't been", but yes, this is basically it. In a separate repo, it
can live or die on its own. If there is interest, I hope it lives. If
not, I'd hate for it to be a drag for those actively maintaining the
core project components. Modularizing our development by separating
out components into their own repos when they aren't (or don't need to
be) tightly coupled to the core components, means developers can focus
on the components they care most about, without worrying about the
rest. Both the proxy and the maven-plugin fell into this category and
moved to their own repo. We've already done a release of the
maven-plugin from its new repo. If there's interest, we can do the
same for the proxy. In future, we could do the same for the custom
classloader stuff (possibly), and the tracer sink service.