accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connecting java client to Accumulo VM
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2017 16:52:48 GMT
So, Accumulo TServers publish their hostname from their config into the
Accumulo metadata. So, yes, this hostname must be reachable by clients as
well, because that's how clients will identify it in the Accumulo metadata.

I'm not sure what the deal was with the JAVA_HOME variable. It's probably
one of the launch scripts which ssh'd to the hostname in the config to
start the tserver. When it's set to localhost, it probably doesn't ssh, but
just starts it directly. My guess is that .profile is not read when ssh'ing
because it's not creating a logon session and instead just executing the
given command. You could try putting it in .bashrc instead (assuming your
default shell is bash).

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:42 AM Geoffry Roberts <threadedblue@gmail.com>
wrote:

> All,
>
> Muchas gracias for the help.
>
> When I had masters/slaves populated with "localhost", 9997 was listening
> but not remotely.  When I had m/s populated with the IP address,  9997 was
> not listening and the log said JAVA_HOME was not set and that I should set
> it in accumulo-env.sh.  I did that and 9997 began listening remotely and
> was accessible.  Let us then, declare victory.
>
> Two points, however, I should like to pass along:
>

>    1. Why the problem with JAVA_HOME?  I have JAVA_HOME set in .profile.
>    When m/s is "localhost" no problem; but when "hostname" (from /etc/hosts),
>    big problem.
>    2. Before I could get my remote client to connect, I had to make a
>    mirror entry in the host's /etc/hosts file.  i.e. Both host and guest
>    machines needed the same entry.  This is because the client tries to work
>    with the name from the guest's /etc/hosts and not the IP.
>
> Anyhow, I am off to the races with Accumulo.
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Edward Gleeck <edrebg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep should work. would suggest checking the logs at this point to see
>>  what’s causing the failure.  If it’s not starting up there would be
>> exceptions thrown by the service.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM Geoffry Roberts <threadedblue@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried the IP address (a 192 number) but the same result--no 9997.
>>> Using said IP I can access from either the host or from within the guest.
>>>
>>> So far nothing works in master/slaves except localhost.
>>>
>>> I gather this is supposed to work correct?

You