accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Yue Zhao <yz...@POC.com>
Subject RE: Help
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 17:27:22 GMT
Hi Christopher,

Thanks a lot for the information. I will talk to my manager about this.

Best regards,

Yue

From: Christopher [mailto:ctubbsii@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 8:12 PM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Help

Accumulo is written primarily in Java, which is platform-independent. So, it may be possible
to run Accumulo in Windows. However, I do not know anybody actually doing this, and there
will certainly be roadblocks and pitfalls along the way.

For one, the scripts provided in Accumulo's distribution will almost certainly not work on
Windows. So, you may have to create your own way to launch the Java applications and create
any necessary environment variables for class path, configuration file locations, logging,
etc.

Another possible pitfall: although Java is platform independent, in theory, it is possible
to write code in Java which makes assumptions that are only valid on Linux or other Unix-like
environments, and it's probable that we've done that in a few places. If this is the case,
then that's something we could fix, given a bug report which brings it to our attention. So,
if you do end up trying this, please let the community know how it went. Although I wouldn't
recommend it for production Accumulo instances, there may be a use case for it (development?)
that we could support if there were contributors regularly using Windows who could provide
bug reports and testing feedback.
On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:03 PM Yue Zhao <yzhao@poc.com<mailto:yzhao@poc.com>>
Can I use Accumulo on Windows 7? Or it only works with Linux?

Thanks,

Yue Zhao
Team Leader, Software Development
Physical Optics Corporation<http://www.poc.com/>
1845 W. 205<https://maps.google.com/?q=1845+W.+205&entry=gmail&source=g>th St.,
Torrance, CA 90501
Phone: (310)320-3088 ext. 256<tel:(310)%20320-3088>

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
all copies of the original message. EXPORT CONTROL NOTICE: This e-mail may contain technical
data whose export, transfer, and /or disclosure may be controlled by the US international
Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) 22 CFR part 120-130 or the Export Administration Regulations
(Commerce.)