accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maximum and recommended number of tablets per tserver
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:34:10 GMT
Hi Mario,

There is no perfect answer here. It's going to be dependent on your
application latency requirements, data layout, and available hardware
resources.

In general, we recommend "hundreds of tablets" per tabletserver. This
should be a decent starting ponit. As you develop more and are able to
run some experimentations with your application, you might find that
more or less tablets are actually beneficial (for one reason or another).

I'm not sure what a maximum number of tablets would be per tserver.
Probably 10's of thousands? It quite depends (again) on the hardware
resources available. The master is also a single entity managing the
assignment of each of those tablets -- eventually, just iterating over
tablets will take more and more time in the Master. Additionally, each
Tablet represents some additional amount of memory in the TabletServer's
JVM heap.

Sorry this isn't clear-cut answer -- maybe we can do a better job
encapsulating the important metrics in the docs somewhere?  You're
certainly not the first to ask this question :)

- Josh