accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "roman.drapeko@baesystems.com" <roman.drap...@baesystems.com>
Subject RE: Accumulo and Kerberos
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:29:39 GMT
I want to believe in this, but what I see contradicts this statement..

I do bin/stop-all.sh on master.

If I have a ticket cache for hdfs user, I don't see any errors.
If I don't a have ticket cache for hdfs user, I see these errors.

I can see that all slaves and master successfully logged in as accumulo user.

However slaves are failing straight away due to the error I posted in the previous email.
I also see this error when I stop the master and I don't' have ticket cache for hdfs user,
however I don't see it if I have ticket cache (as per above)... It's kind of a reflection
of the previous problem with vfs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Elser [mailto:josh.elser@gmail.com]
Sent: 26 January 2016 21:08
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Accumulo and Kerberos

Ok, let me repeat: running a `kinit` in your local shell has *no
bearing* on what Accumulo is doing. This is fundamentally not how it works. There are libraries
in the JDK which perform the login with the KDC using the keytab you provide in accumulo-site.xml.
Accumulo is not using the ticket cache which your `kinit` creates.

</rant>

You should see a message in the log stating that the Kerberos login happened (or didn't).
The server should exit if it fails to log in (but I don't know if I've actively tested that).
Do you see this message?
Does it say you successfully logged in (and the principal you logged in as)?

roman.drapeko@baesystems.com wrote:
> Ok, there is some progress. So these issues were definitely related to VFS classloader
- now works both on the client and master - so I guess a bug is found.

> And it looks like there is a very similar issue related to instance_id
>
> On the slaves (does not matter whether I do kinit hdfs or not) I always receive when
I start the node:

>          2016-01-26 20:36:41,744 [tserver.TabletServer] ERROR: Uncaught exception in
TabletServer.main, exiting
>          java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't tell if Accumulo is
> initialized; can't read instance id at
> hdfs://cr-platform-qa23-01.cyberreveal.local:8020/accumulo/instance_id
>
> On the master I can see the same issue when I do bin/stop-all.sh without kinit hdfs and
it disappears if I have a hdfs ticket.

> I tried both: hadoop fs -chown -R accumulo:hdfs /accumulo and hadoop
> fs -chown -R accumulo:accumulo /accumulo - same behavior
>
> Any thoughts please?

out classloader and now it works without kinit. So it seems it tries loading classes before
Kerberos authentication happened. What classloader should I use instead?

>> Regards,
>> Roman

to be very broken in what you download as 1.7.0. There are a number of JIRA issues about this
which stem from a lack of a released commons-vfs2-2.1.

>> That being said, I have not done anything with running Accumulo out of HDFS with
Kerberos enabled. AFAIK, you're in untraveled waters.

>> re: the renewal bug: When the ticket expires, the Accumulo service
>> will die. Your options are to deploy a watchdog process that would
>> restart the service, download the fix from the JIRA case and rebuild
>> Accumulo yourself, or build 1.7.1-SNAPSHOT from our codebase. I would
>> recommend using 1.7.1-SNAPSHOT as it should be the least painful
>> (1.7.1-SNAPSHOT now is likely to not change significantly from what
>> is ultimately released as 1.7.1)
>>
>> roman.drapeko@baesystems.com wrote:
>>> Hi Josh,
>>>
>>> Yes, will do. Just in the meantime - I can see a different issue on slave nodes.
If I try to start in isolation (bin/start-here.sh) with or without doing kinit I always see
the error below.

>>> 2016-01-26 18:31:13,873 [start.Main] ERROR: Problem initializing the
>>> class loader java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>>>            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>>            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
>>>            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
>>>            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
>>>            at org.apache.accumulo.start.Main.getClassLoader(Main.java:68)
>>>            at org.apache.accumulo.start.Main.main(Main.java:52)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.commons.vfs2.FileSystemException: Could not determine the
type of file "hdfs://<hostname>/platform/lib/.*.jar".
>>>            at org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.AbstractFileObject.attach(AbstractFileObject.java:1522)
>>>            at org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.AbstractFileObject.getType(AbstractFileObject.java:489)
>>>            at org.apache.accumulo.start.classloader.vfs.AccumuloVFSClassLoader.resolve(AccumuloVFSClassLoader.java:143)
>>>            at org.apache.accumulo.start.classloader.vfs.AccumuloVFSClassLoader.resolve(AccumuloVFSClassLoader.java:121)
>>>            at org.apache.accumulo.start.classloader.vfs.AccumuloVFSClassLoader.getClassLoader(AccumuloVFSClassLoader.java:211)
>>>            ... 6 more
>>> Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: SIMPLE
>>> authentication is not enabled.  Available:[TOKEN, KERBEROS]
>>>
>>> I guess it might be different to what I observe on the master node. If I don't
get ticket explicitly, I get the error mentioned in the previous email. However if do (and
it does not matter for what user I have a ticket now - whether it's accumulo, hdfs or hive)
- it works. So I started to think, maybe the problem related to some action (for example to
vfs as per above) that tries to access HDFS before doing a proper authentication with Kerberos?
Any ideas?

>>> Also, if we go live with 1.7.0 - what approach would you recommend for renewing
tickets? Does it require stopping and starting the cluster?

>>> Regards,
>>> Roman

obtain a ticket from the KDC when they start up. You do not need to do anything with kinit
when starting Accumulo.

>>> One worry is ACCUMULO-4069[1] with all presently released versions (most notably
1.7.0 which you are using). This is a bug in which services did not automatically renew their
ticket. We're working on a 1.7.1, but it's not out yet.

>>> As for debugging your issue, take a look at the Kerberos section on debugging
in the user manual [2]. Take a very close look at the principal the service is using to obtain
the ticket and what the principal is for your keytab. A good sanity check is to make sure
you can `kinit` in the shell using the keytab and the correct principal (rule out the keytab
being incorrect).

>>> If you still get stuck, collect the output specifying -Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true
in accumulo-env.sh (per the instructions) and try enabling log4j DEBUG on org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.