accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2015 16:53:18 GMT
mohit.kaushik wrote:
> On 12/16/2015 09:07 PM, Eric Newton wrote:
>> I was making the huge assumption that your client runs with the
>> accumulo scripts and it is not one of the accumulo known start points:
>> in this case, it is given the JVM parameters of ACCUMULO_OTHER_OPTS.
> Perhaps I am asking something very obvious but I did not find any
> guidelines to run clients with accumulo scripts and still i am not clear
> how ACCUMULO_OTHER_OPTS which are set on server affects clients.

Yeah, I wanted to make this point too. ACCUMULO_OTHER_OPTS is only
relevant if you're using the `accumulo` command to run your code. I
don't think I would call it "common" for client applications to be
runnable by the `accumulo` script -- most times your code is completely
disjoint from the servers.

If you're launching it yourself, you would need to set the proper JVM
heap/GC properties on your own: e.g. increase -Xmx, turn on
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC. These two should be enough for basic tweaking :)