accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pre-sorting row keys vs not pre-sorting row keys
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 19:51:24 GMT
How many tablets were these batches going to?

How much were the column updates spread across mutations? 1 mutation
per update? or grouped by row?

10k also seems like a very small number. I'd be curious to know where
the error bars are around that 50% value.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Ara Ebrahimi
<ara.ebrahimi@argyledata.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just did a simple test:
>
> - insert 10k batches of columns
> - sort the same 10k batch based on row keys and insert
>
> So basically the batch writer in the first test has items in non-sorted order and in
the second one in sorted order. We noticed 50% better performance in the sorted version! Why
is that the case? Is this something we need to consider doing for live ingest scenarios?