accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: thrift versions in accumulo
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 20:01:59 GMT
Christopher wrote:
> Well, Thrift serves two purposes for us. It manages the RPC API and
> handles the data serialization for the RPC.

Hit the nail on the head. It's nice because it does solve formatting the
data in a compatible way and also delivering that data from client ot
server. It also has lots of nice things like SSL and SASl support baked
in too. Take a look at the 2k lines of code HBase maintains just to set
up an RPC connection. :)

> Long term, I'd like to look at Netty for handling the API (because it
> seems stable, widely used, and feature-rich). I'm not particularly
> concerned about the serialization, as long as the library is stable.
> Avro makes as much sense to me as any other, but I haven't actually
> used it yet, so I'll reserve judgment.
>
> Even if we move away from Thrift in the long-term for the
> client/server and server/server RPCs, we'll probably not get rid of it
> entirely. It's still pretty useful for the accumulo-proxy. However,
> since that's a small, optional add-on, it'd be pretty easy to isolate
> thrift to just be a dependency of that... and presumably it'd be easy
> to rebuild that add-on component for different thrift versions or to
> support multiple versions.

I know Sean had expressed a desire in trying to pull out Thrift from the
core of things to make this kind of experimentation easier. Being able
to express our RPCs in a way that isn't tied to Thrift would be step #1.
Then, make Thrift be an "implementation" (convert to that generic way
from step #1). After that, it should be straightforward to use whatever
serialization and transport mechanism your heart desires (and your
fingers code).

+1 To Thrift being around in some form for the proxy for the foreseeable
future.