accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: client.conf warning in 1.7.0
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 00:04:06 GMT
In short, yes, it will likely be required for clients in the future
(if you want something other than the defaults).

The longer answer is that we just wanted to make sure the user
understood where their configuration is coming from, in case things
aren't working as they expect.

We've been moving towards separating the server-side configuration
(mostly, accumulo-site.xml) from client utilities, due to the fact
that a client cannot be expected to have access to the
accumulo-site.xml (it contains a sensitive instance.secret and other
stuff a client doesn't need), and it can be confusing to have a
client-specific "accumulo-site.xml", which is not the server's
"accumulo-site.xml".

If you don't have this file, it will fall back to reasonable defaults
(reading "accumulo-site.xml" from the classpath, if one is available).

Some of this behavior is a bit screwy, but we've been careful to
preserve backwards compatibility as much as possible. In the future,
it is my intention (and perhaps others share this goal with me) to
clean up these configs quite a bit. So, if you have any suggestions on
how you think things should work, feedback is always welcome.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii