accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "michael.griffiths3@baesystems.com" <michael.griffit...@baesystems.com>
Subject Combiner design clarification
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 09:15:43 GMT
Hi all,

I'm implementing a range of combiners and my assumption is that at scan time we will only
have one single combined value returned (regardless of whether the versioning iterator is
applied), however the documentation in the iterator_design.txt document isn't clear whether
that assumption is correct:

A second consideration is that a Combiner is not guaranteed to see every Key-Value pair

which differ only by timestamp every time it is invoked. For example, if there are 5 Key-Value

pairs in a table which only differ by the timestamps 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, it is not guaranteed
that

every invocation of the Combiner will see 5 timestamps. One invocation might see the Values
for

Keys with timestamp 1 and 4, while another invocation might see the Values for Keys with the

timestamps 1, 2, 4 and 5.

Is the above an implementation detail that we need to consider when writing combiners, but
not for the client implementation? Will the client only have one value returned to it?
Equally does the same statement above stay true for other forms of iterators that are not
combiners?

Many thanks,

Michael

Michael Griffiths
Developer
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

 E: michael.griffiths3@baesystems.com

BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7RQ.
www.baesystems.com/ai<http://www.baesystems.com/ai>

Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message should be regarded
as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy
it immediately. Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy
by an authorised signatory. The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies
under the control of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Limited, details of which can be found
at http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/index.htm.