accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding java being the choice for accumulo
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:02:41 GMT
Short answer is probably because Hadoop was written in Java :smile:

Some general points brought up by Doug Cutting for choosing Java for
Hadoop (back in the Nutch days) are probably applicable here too

* Java's code is portable and platform independent which is based on
Write Once Run Anywhere.
* Java is fairly simple language to learn to develop a complex and large
project. Java project are easy to manage.
* Java has a huge collection of open source libraries than any other
language.
* Java programs crashes less catastrophically and it is easier to debug
an issue in Java then C or C++.
* Garbage Collection techniques is easier to reuse or extend to a
project need in Java.

That's my take on it, anyways.