accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CHANGES files
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:28:09 GMT
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> If we're going to keep doing this, I'd like to have a really good
>> reason for why we should (which is more convincing than a preference
>> for grep over JIRA). I'm not coming up with such a reason.
>

> The reason I heard Josh give is accessibility for folks who use our software
> but do not have access to our web pages, jira, nor our git repository.
>
> I think that's a legitimate benefit, but like Josh I don't know how much the
> file effectively gets used in those spaces currently.

True. That's a good point. But... even if that were true for some
users (we're obviously lacking data on that), there's still the
concern about its accuracy, and whether an issue number and summary is
adequate to convey anything meaningful to those users. And, even if it
were minimally meaningful and 100% accurate (which they aren't), does
this benefit outweigh the burden? In any case, these individuals
(presuming they exist) can likely just as easily generate a static
up-to-date report, as needed, from JIRA at the time they download the
release.