accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abnormal behaviour of custom iterator in getting entries
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:51:53 GMT
It's hard to remotely debug an iterator, especially when we don't know
what it's doing. If you can post the code, that would help tremendously.
Instead of dumping values to a text file, you may fare better by
attaching a remote debugger to the TabletServer and setting a breakpoint
on your SKVI.

The only thing I can say is that a Scanner and BatchScanner should
return the same data, but the invocations in the server to fetch that
data are performed differently. It's likely that due to the differences
in the implementations, you uncovered a bug in your iterator.

One common pitfall is incorrectly handling something we refer to as a
"re-seek". Hypothetically, take a query scanning over [0, 9], and we
have one key per number in the range (10 keys).

As the name implies, the BatchScanner fetches batches from a server, and
suppose that after 3 keys, the server-side buffer fills up. Thus, the
client will get keys [0,2]. In the server, the next time you fetch a
batch, a new instance of the iterator will be constructed (via
deepCopy()). Seek() will then be called, but with a new range that
represents the previous data that was already returned. Thus, your
iterator would be seeked with (2,9] instead of [0,9] again.

I can't say whether or not you're actually hitting this case, but it's a
common pitfall that affects devs.