accumulo-user mailing list archives

From David Patterson <patt...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about best practices on column names
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 13:05:57 GMT
I've been trying to understand the difference between the two column name
parts -- column family and column qualifier. I don't understand the value
of using the columnFamily for the column name and an "empty text" (new
Text(new byte[0])) field for the column qualifier vs. a non-unique column
name and the distinct column name in the column qualifier position.

I can sort-of understand the distinction if I have multiple distinct kinds
of data in my data collection. I could use the column family part to
determine how to interpret the rest of the data (what columns I can expect,
etc.). But, that kind of data could also be handled with multiple databases.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Davie Patterson