accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Adam Fuchs <afu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scans during Compaction
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:16:53 GMT
Dylan,

I think the way this is generally solved is by using an idempotent iterator
that can be applied at both full major compaction and query scopes to give
a consistent view. Aggregation, age-off filtering, and all the other
"standard" iterators have the property that you can leave them in place and
get a consistent answer even if they are applied multiple times. Major
compaction and query-time iterators are even simpler than the general case,
since you don't really need to worry about partial views of the underlying
data. In your case I think you are trying to use an iterator that needs to
be applied exactly once to a complete stream of data (either at query time
or major compaction time). What we should probably do is look at options
for more generally supporting that type of iterator. You could help us a
ton by describing exactly what you want your iterator to do, and we can all
propose a few ideas for how this might be implemented. Here are a couple
off the top of my head:

1. If you can reform your iterator so that it is idempotent then you can
apply it liberally. This might be possible using some sort of flag that the
major compactor puts in the data and the query-time iterator looks for to
determine if the compaction has already happened. We often use version
numbers in column families to this effect. Special row keys at the
beginning of the tablet might also be an option. This would be doable
without changes to Accumulo.

2. We could build a mechanism into core accumulo that applies an iterator
with exactly once semantics, such that the user submits a transformation as
an iterator and it gets applied similarly to how you described. The
query-time reading of results of the major compaction might be overkill,
but that would be a possible optimization that we could think about
engineering in a second pass.

Adam