accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Ara Ebrahimi <ara.ebrah...@argyledata.com>
Subject Re: hdfs cpu usage
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:48:10 GMT
2.4.0.2.1.

Yeah seems like I need to do that. I was hoping I’d get some advice based on prior experience
with google cloud environment.

Ara.

On Feb 7, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com<mailto:josh.elser@gmail.com>>
wrote:

What version of Hadoop are you using?

Have you considered hooking up a profiler to the Datanode on GCE to see
where the time is being spent? That might help shed some light on the
situation.

Ara Ebrahimi wrote:
Hi,

We’re seeing some weird behavior from the hdfs daemon on google cloud environment when we
use accumulo Scanner to sequentially scan a table. Top reports 200-300% cpu usage for the
hdfs daemon. Accumulo is also around 500%. iostat %util is low. avgrq-sz is low, rMB/s is
low, there’s lots of free memory. It seems like something causes the hdfs daemon to consume
a lot of cpu and not to send enough read requests to the disk (ssd actually, so disk is super
fast and vastly under-utilized). The process which sends scan requests to accumulo is 500%
active (using 3 query batch threads and aggressive scan-batch-size/read-ahead-threashold values).
So it seems like somehow hdfs is the bottleneck. On another cluster we rarely see hdfs daemon
going over 10% cpu usage. Any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks,
Ara.