accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remotely Accumulo
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 15:34:02 GMT
Can you provide the output from netstat, lsof or /proc/$pid/fd for the
tserver? Assuming you haven't altered tserv.port.client in
accumulo-site.xml, we want the line for port 9997.

>From my laptop running a tserver on localhost:

$ netstat -na | grep 9997
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.9997         *.*                    LISTEN

Depending on the tool you use, you can grep out the pid of the tserver
or just that port itself.

Just so you know, ZK binds to all available interfaces when it starts,
so it should work seamlessly with localhost or the FQDN for the host.
As such, it shouldn't matter what you provide to the
ZooKeeperInstance. That should connect in all cases for you, it's when
you make a Connector, and your client will talk to a tabletserver to
authenticate, that your program should hang. It would be good to
verify that.

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Geoffry Roberts <threadedblue@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> Is this a problem for Accumulo?
> Reverse DNS is yielding my ISP's host name. You know the drill, my IP in
> reverse followed by their domain name, as opposed to my FQDN, which what I
> use in my config files.
>
> Running Accumulo 1.5.1
> I have only one interface.
> I have the FQDN in both master and slaves files for both Hadoop and
> Accumulo; in zoo.cfg; and in accumulo-site.xml where the Zookeepers are
> referenced.
> Also, I am passing in all Zk FQDN when I instantiate ZookeeperInstance.
> Forward DNS works
> Reverse DNS... well (See above).
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Accumulo tservers typically listen on a single interface. If you have a
>> server with multiple interfaces (e.g. loopback and eth0), you might have a
>> problem in which the tablet servers are not listening on externally
>> reachable interfaces. Tablet servers will list the interfaces that they are
>> listening to when they boot, and you can also use tools like lsof to find
>> them.
>>
>> If that is indeed the problem, then you might just need to change you
>> conf/slaves file to use <hostname> instead of localhost, and then restart.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> On Oct 6, 2014 4:27 PM, "Geoffry Roberts" <threadedblue@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have been happily working with Acc, but today things changed.  No
>>> errors
>>>
>>> Until now I ran everything server side, which meant the URL was
>>> localhost:2181, and life was good.  Today tried running some of the same
>>> code as a remote client, which means <host name>:2181.  Things hang when
>>> BatchWriter tries to commit anything and Scan hangs when it tries to iterate
>>> through a Map.
>>>
>>> Let's focus on the scan part:
>>>
>>> scan.fetchColumnFamily(new Text("colfY")); // This executes then hangs.
>>> for(Entry<Key,Value> entry : scan) {
>>> def row = entry.getKey().getRow();
>>> def value = entry.getValue();