accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Pelton, Aaron A." <Aaron.Pel...@gd-ais.com>
Subject RE: Request for Configuration Help for basic test. Tservers dying and only one tablet being used
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:20:50 GMT
To followup to two of your statements/questions:

1. Good, pre-splitting your table should help with random data, but if you're only writing
data to one tablet, you're stuck (very similar to hot-spotting reducers in MapReduce jobs).

- OK so its good that the data is presplitting, but maybe this is conceptually something that
I'm not grasping about accumulo yet, but I thought specifying the pre-splits is what causes
the table to span multiple tablets on the various tserver initially.  However, the core of
the data appears to be in one specific tablet on on tserver. Each tserver appears to have
a few tablets allocated to it for the table I'm working out of. So, I'm confused as to how
to get the data to write to more than just the one tablet/partition.  I would almost think
my keys I specified aren't being matched correctly against incoming data then?

2. What do you actually do when you receive an HTTP request to write to Accumulo. It sounds
like you're reading data and then writing? Is each HTTP request creating its own BatchWriter?
More insight to what a "write" looks like in your system (in terms of Accumulo API calls)
would help us make recommendations about more efficient things you can do.

Yes each http request gets its own reference to a writer or scanner, which is closed when
thre result is returned from the http request.  There are two rest services. One transforms
the data and preforms some indexes based on it and then sends both data and index to a BatchWriter.
The sample code for the data being written is below. The indexes being written are similar
but use different family and qualifier values.

        Text rowId = new Text(id + ":" + time);
        Text fam = new Text(COLUMN_FAMILY_KLV);
        Text qual = new Text("");
        Value val = new Value(data.getBytes());

        Mutation mut = new Mutation(rowId);
        mut.put(fam, qual, val);

        long memBuf = 1_000_000L;
        long timeout = 1000L;
        int numThreads = 10;

        BatchWriter writer = null;
        try
        {
            writer = conn.createBatchWriter(TABLE_NAME, memBuf, timeout, numThreads);
            writer.addMutation(mut);
        }
        catch (Exception x)
        {
            // x.printStackTrace();
            logger.error(x.toString(), x);
            result = "ERROR";
        }
        finally
        {
            try
            {
                if (writer != null)
                {
                    writer.close();
                }
            }
            catch (Exception x)
            {
                // x.printStackTrace();
                logger.error(x.toString(), x);
                result = "ERROR";
            }
        }

At the beginning of the test, a known subset of control data range is created and uploaded.
For the duration of the heart of the test while ongoing writes occur, queries upon data in
that control range are performed.  The rest service that handles the read eventually hits
this:

        ArrayList<String> latlons = new ArrayList<String>();
        Authorizations auths = new Authorizations();

        Scanner scan = null;
        try
        {
            scan = conn.createScanner(TABLE_NAME, auths);
            scan.setRange(new Range(id + ":0", id + "::")); // all times
            scan.fetchColumnFamily(new Text(COLUMN_FAMILY_KLV));

            for (Map.Entry<Key, Value> e : scan)
            {
                // do stuff with e
            }
        }
        catch (TableNotFoundException x)
        {
            LOGGER.fatal("The table " + TABLE_NAME + " could not be found.", x);
        }
        finally
        {
            if (scan != null)