accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How does Accumulo compare to HBase
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 08:19:47 GMT
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Jianshi Huang <jianshi.huang@gmail.com>
wrote:

> + another 2cents myself
>
> I think one innovative way to use the visibility tag is for version
> controls in development. I can set, say, "alpha", "beta", "released"
> visibility tags to each cell and set different users in testing and
> production. Looks like this will simplify testing a lot.
>
> i.e.
> - production user: "production"
> - beta testing user: "beta" && "production"
> - alpha testing user: "alpha" && "beta" && "production"
>
> BTW, will they be counted as same record with different version? Or
> different records?
>
> Does that make sense?

Within Accumulo those will be different cells. In HBase they will be
different versions of the same cell.

There are tradeoffs for both approaches. In Accumulo, for example, if you
have

row 1 | user props | bob | alpha          |  ts0 | foo=dee
row 1 | user props | bob | beta            |  ts2 | foo=cats
row 1 | user props | bob | production |  ts1 | foo=bar

then with your given user accesses, those users will see multiple cells and
you'll need application logic to deal with it.

--
Sean