accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does Accumulo compare to HBase
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:14:34 GMT
In my opinion, one of our main goals for Accumulo is “it just works.”
 Specifically, Accumulo’s development focuses on fault tolerance, ingest
performance, and ease of administration.  It is likely that its design
scales to larger clusters than HBase's does because it splits its metadata
table, providing a 3-level lookup hierarchy instead of 2-level.  A few
other important points:
* Accumulo supports very large rows with very large numbers of columns; its
rows do not need to fit in memory and its columns do not need to be
specified in advance.  This opens Accumulo up for new types of table
designs that take advantage of those features.
* Accumulo has an off-heap in-memory map (where recently written data goes)
which makes it less susceptible to Java garbage collection issues, and may
have a positive effect on its ingest rates.
* Accumulo has faster, more fault-tolerant splits than HBase and has no
issue performing splits while a table is in use.  User-initiated
administrative operations are also performed atomically through Accumulo’s
fault-tolerant execution system.
* Accumulo ensures that key timestamps set by the server never go
backwards, even when time across the cluster is incorrect.  I have no idea
how HBase operates without this, as it is essential in preventing data loss.

Accumulo’s read caching is not currently as good as HBase's, and HBase
generally has more features and better integration with other projects.
 Our notable features page may provide you with some additional ideas:
http://accumulo.apache.org/notable_features.html