accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scanner.estimatedCount()?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 15:04:12 GMT
You could do this fairly efficiently by leveraging the CountingIterator
to get an exact count (taking visibilities into account, as well) for
the range in question. It isn't going to be as fast as a precomputed
answer, but you could cache that easily.

The fact that visibilities will affect the cardinality of a term makes
it harder for us to provide this within Accumulo. The situations where
Accumulo itself cares about cardinality, it's agnostic of the
visibilities. It would be possible to try to build an index of this
information internally, but, like Eric said, that's not there today.