accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does Accumulo compare to HBase
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:24:03 GMT
A few observations I can make from watching both communities (although
only really participating in Accumulo's).

- HBase undeniably has a much larger public community of both users and
developers; however, we are seeing broader adoption across different
vertical markets with Accumulo. IMO, I think we have a rather responsive
community built up here. Lots of smart people are working that are
available and happy to help with problems.

- BatchScanner: The BatchScanner is a query construct which will
automatically fetch data from a collection of Ranges on a table and
return the results in the form of a Java Iterator. This makes for a very
natural way to read lots of data from Accumulo, automatically performing
some reduction in the data server-side (using Accumulo Iterators), and
getting a wonderfully simple Iterator<Entry<Key,Value>> in your client
code. It really helps to encourage a state-less and functional-like
style to your code.

I really like it, and, when combined with the ability to push a bunch of
work server-side, it has often kept me from having to write MapReduce
jobs (which is always a win to me).

- Accumulo Iterators are a common thing you might hear as a difference.
AFAICT, they're a bit more powerful than what you can do with HBase
filters because you are presented with a stream of Key-Value pairs
inside of the TServer. Again, it's a bit functional programming
inspired. You have the ability to combine, consume, seek within the
stream and do what you please (more context would be helpful in giving
specific examples)

That being said, Iterators do come with a learning curve, but that's to
be expected with the amount of flexibility they provide. It's just like
anything else :)

- <disclaimer>I can't comment about running HBase in production
environments, but I tend to hear a lot of "war stories" about it. I also
don't know how much of this is from running old version of HBase which
don't have known issues patched. </disclaimer>

In my experience, Accumulo just works. It doesn't require much
day-to-day interaction, processes stay running and if some node goes
haywire, I have absolutely no qualms against `kill -9`'ing it and
knowing that everything will come back fine.

My $0.02.

- Josh