accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does Accumulo compare to HBase
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:49:02 GMT
Another way you could word this is that Accumulo has a very "mature"
security implementation, whereas, like you pointed out, HBase has only
recently added this in 0.98.

The note about how visibility being in the Key as opposed to the Value
also has impact when writing Iterators. Because the visibility is a
"first class citizen" instead of an afterthought, having it uniquely
define some pair makes aggregations much easier to think about, IMO.
This is especially prevalent when doing this server-side with an
Accumulo Iterator.

There are also other differences between the implementations visibility
filtering, the most common being the support of a "NOT" operator in
HBase whereas Accumulo explicitly chose not to implement this. By
allowing "NOT" into the syntax, it becomes much more possible that data
is inadvertently leaked. Marking data correctly is more difficult than
it seems and introducing the ability to negate certain branches makes it
even more difficult. Auditors are scary :)

- Josh