accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Slater, David M." <David.Sla...@jhuapl.edu>
Subject RE: Improving Batchscanner Performance
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 16:58:30 GMT
You are correct that the "bin" is largely redundant. I created that because I was not guaranteed
that the guid was uniformly random (I have seen some that aren't uniformly distributed), and
I'm not the one who specified it. There is another mechanism I didn't mention, which is that
the bin is prepended by a timeblock (typically an hour span), and my data is streaming. So
essentially, I create a number of splits for the next timeblock for X bins, and then when
the data input moves into that time block it can ingest directly onto empty tablets.

I don't think rfile-info comes on 1.4, but I looked at the !METADATA table, and if I'm reading
it correctly:
31;14006844|00 file:/t-0014fpy/A0014h4u.rf []    155454467,5450454

This is a 155 MB file with an index block of 5.45 MB. This is a typical size for a timeblock|bin
combination.

After the data gets over a day old, I do a nightly job to merge the bins for each timeblock
together, resulting in data like:
31;14000292|00 file:/t-0011bgk/C0011e06.rf []    1922144744,67390597
31;14000292|00 file:/t-0011bgk/C0011ed3.rf []    1942040855,68058489

This is about 4 GB with 140 MB of index. So it looks like the index size is about 3.5% of
the files, if I'm reading it correctly.

In total, there about 440 tablets per server, with 4 servers, storing a total of about 2.1
TB of data (each server has a single 1 TB HDD).

I enabled bloom filters, but I didn't restart Accumulo. Is it necessary to restart Accumulo
to do that, or are bloom filters normally generated? I have an index cache of 256M for each
tserver.

Thanks,
David