accumulo-user mailing list archives

From "Slater, David M." <David.Sla...@jhuapl.edu>
Subject RE: Improving Batchscanner Performance
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 20:34:06 GMT
10-100 entries per node (4 nodes total).

Would changing the data table structure change the batchscanner performance?

I'm using:
row		colFam		colQual		value
bin|guid	--		--		byte[]

would it be faster/slower to use:
row		colFam		colQual		value
bin		guid		--		byte[]

The difference would be that the first would include everything as a Collection of ranges,
where the second would use a combination of ranges and setting column families.

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Elser [mailto:josh.elser@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:17 PM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Improving Batchscanner Performance

10-100 entries/s seems slow, but that's mostly a gut feeling without context. Is this over
more than one node? 10s of nodes?

A value of 1M would would explain the pause that you see in the beginning. That parameter
controls the size of the buffer that each tserver will fill before sending data back to the
BatchScanner. Too small and you pay for the excessive RPCs, too large, and like you're seeing,
it takes longer for you to get the first batch. You should be able to reduce that value and
see a much quick first result come out of the batchscanner.

Number of rfiles could impact read performance as you have to do a merged-read over all of
the rfiles for a tablet.

On 5/20/14, 3:08 PM, Slater, David M. wrote:
> I'm getting query results around 10-100 entries/s. However, it takes some time after
starting the data scan to actually have any positive query number. The ingest rate into this
table is about 10k entries/s.

> I don't think this would be a problem with table.scan.max.memory=1M, would it?
>
> Maybe it's a problem with the number of rfiles on disk? Or perhaps the ingest is overwhelming
the resources?

to tablets hosted by tabletserver. It will then query up to numQueryThreads tservers at once
to fetch results in parallel.

> The point I was making is that you can only bin ranges within the scope of a single BatchScanner,
and if you were making repeated calls to your original function with differing arguments,
you might be incurring some more penalty. Like Bob, fetching random sets of rows and data
is what I was trying to lead you to.

> If the bandwidth of fetching the data is not a factor, I would probably agree that random
reads are an issue. Do you have more details you can give about how long it takes to fetch
the data for N rows (e.g. number of key-values/second and/or amount of data/second)? Are you
getting an even distribution across your tservers or hot-spotted on a few number (the monitor
should help here)? It can sometimes be a bit of a balancing act with optimizing locality while
avoid suffering from hotspots.

> On 5/20/14, 2:24 PM, Slater, David M. wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>> The data is not significantly larger than the rows that I'm fetching. in terms of
bandwidth, the data returned is at least 2 orders of magnitude smaller than the ingest rate,
so I don't think it's a network issue.

>> I'm guessing, as Bob suggested, that it has to do with fetching a "random" set of
rows each time. I had assumed that the batchscanner would take the Collection of ranges (when
setting batchScanner.setRanges()), sort them, and then fetch data based on tablet splits.
I'm guessing, based on the discussion, that it is not done that way.

>> Does the BatchScanner fetch rows based on the ordering of the Collection?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> David

set of rows and blocking until you find all rows, or until you fetch all of the data.

>>    > Collection<Text> rows = getRowIDs(new Range("minRow", "maxRow"),
>> new Text("index"), "mytable", 10, 10000);  > Collection<byte[]> data
>> = getRowData(rows, "mytable", 10);
>>
>> Both the BatchScanner and Scanner are returning KeyValue pairs in "batches". The
client talks to server(s), reads some data and returns it to you. By virtue of you loading
these results from the Iterator into a Collection, you are consuming *all* results before
proceeding to fetch the data for the rows.

>> Now, if, like you said, looking up the rows is drastically faster than fetching the
data, there's a question as to why this is. Is it safe to assume that the data is much larger
than the rows you're fetching? Have you tried to see what the throughput of fetching this
data is? If it's bounded by network speed, you could try compressing the data in an iterator
server-side before returning it to the client.

>> You could also consider the locality of the rows that you're fetching -- are you
fetching a "random" set of rows each time and paying a penalty of talking to each server to
fetch the data when you could ammortize the cost if you fetched the data for rows that are
close together. A large amount of data being returned is likely going to trump the additional
cost in talking to many servers.

>> On 5/20/14, 1:51 PM, Slater, David M. wrote:
>>> Hi Josh,
>>>
>>> I should have clarified - I am using a batchscanner for both lookups. I had thought
of putting it into two different threads, but the first scan is typically an order of magnitude
faster than the second.

>>> The logic for upperbounding the results returned is outside of the method I provided.
Since there is a one-to-one relationship between rowIDs and records on the second scan, I
just limit the number of rows I send to this method.

>>> As for blocking, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I complete the first scan
in its entirety, which  before entering this method with the collection of Text rowIDs. The
method for that is:

>>> public Collection<Text> getRowIDs(Collection<Range> ranges, Text
term, String tablename, int queryThreads, int limit) throws TableNotFoundException {
>>>            Set<Text> guids = new HashSet<Text>();
>>>            if (!ranges.isEmpty()) {
>>>                BatchScanner scanner = conn.createBatchScanner(tablename, new
Authorizations(), queryThreads);
>>>                scanner.setRanges(ranges);
>>>                scanner.fetchColumnFamily(term);
>>>                for (Map.Entry<Key, Value> entry : scanner) {
>>>                    guids.add(entry.getKey().getColumnQualifier());
>>>                    if (guids.size() > limit) {
>>>                        return null;
>>>                    }
>>>                }
>>>                scanner.close();
>>>            }
>>>            return guids;
>>>        }
>>>
>>> Essentially, my query does:
>>> Collection<Text> rows = getRowIDs(new Range("minRow", "maxRow"), new
>>> Text("index"), "mytable", 10, 10000); Collection<byte[]> data =
>>> getRowData(rows, "mytable", 10);

and ultimately return those results to the client.

>>> The problem with your below implementation is that you're not going to be polling
your batchscanner as aggressively as you could be. You are blocking while you can fetch each
of those new Ranges from the Scanner before fetching new ranges. Have you considered splitting
up the BatchScanner and Scanner code into two different threads?

>>> You could easily use a ArrayBlockingQueue (or similar) to pass results from the
BatchScanner to the Scanner. I would imagine that this would give you a fair improvement in
performance.

>>> Also, it doesn't appear that there's a reason you can't use a BatchScanner for
both lookups?

>>> One final warning, your current implementation could also hog heap very badly
if your batchscanner returns too many records. The producer/consumer I proposed should help
here a little bit, but you should still be asserting upper-bounds to avoid running out of
heap space in your client.

I first scan over index tables, which returns a set of rowIDs that correspond to the records
I am interested in. This set of records is fairly randomly (and uniformly) distributed across
a large number of tablets, due to the randomness of the UID and the query itself. Then I want
to scan over my data table, which is setup as follows:

50000 or more). The method I use to obtain this follows. Essentially, I turn the rows returned
from the first query into a set of ranges to input into the batchscanner, and then return
those rows, retrieving the value from them.

rows, Text dataType, String tablename, int queryThreads) throws TableNotFoundException {
new Authorizations(), queryThreads);

enabled (data caches are not), but I still seem to have a long query lag. Any thoughts on
how I can improve this?