accumulo-user mailing list archives

From BlackJack76 <justin....@gmail.com>
Subject Custom TabletBalancer
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2014 14:15:05 GMT
I am attempting to write a custom TabletBalancer.

When I create a table I create 26 splits (one for each letter of the
alphabet) which results in 26 tablets.  I have 13 tablet servers so I want
to statically assign the tablets so that 2 tablets are on each tablet
server.  After they are created, I don't want them to move around.

Anyway, if the table exists when I start Accumulo I see that getAssignments
is called with all the unassigned tablets.  Here is the method I am speaking
of:

http://accumulo.apache.org/1.5/apidocs/org/apache/accumulo/server/master/balancer/TabletBalancer.html#getAssignments%28java.util.SortedMap,%20java.util.Map,%20java.util.Map%29

However, if I create the table and split it after Accumulo is already
running then I see that getAssignments is called but the size of the
unassigned map is always 0.  This seems to conflict with the comments in the
API that state "This method is called whenever the master finds tablets that
are unassigned".

Maybe there is an easier way to statically assign the tablets.  Any
recommendations or comments are welcome.