accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:12:51 GMT
It sounds like you'd get some of your requirements to hide data by
simply cloning a table to create a sandbox, in which one can issue
actual deletes to remove it from that sandbox's view. Accumulo's clone
feature will not duplicate data unnecessarily, so you could have many
clones, each with different data removed from view (deleted).

This would only work for snapshots, though. You'd wouldn't get updates
from the original table that was shared/cloned. I'm not sure you need
that, though.

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to argue against your use case for
NOT. I'm not. I'm just trying to think if there's an alternative that
can get you what you need today, whether or not we decide to include
NOT.)

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Jeff Kunkle <kunklejr@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> generally an expensive operation.
>>
>> I think I need to think on this use case some more, it's definitely
>> interesting and not something I had considered before.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Jeff Kunkle <kunklejr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You have a large amount of data, that is generally readable by all users.
>>>
>>> Not necessarily. All data has some visibility constraint that a users
>>> authorization's may or may not satisfy.
>>>
>>> Users create their own sandbox, from which they can later exclude
>>> portions of the global data set.
>>>
>>> Yes, users create their own sandboxes which are populated with global
>>> data. They may decide to delete some of that data and the change needs to be
>>> scoped to their sandbox until the change is published globally.
>>>

>>> User can share their sandbox with others, so really we are talking about
>>> sandbox permissions and not so much user permissions.
>>>
>>> Yes, users can share their sandbox with others, but a sandbox is just a
>>> collection of pointers to data. Users sharing a workspace may not
>>> necessarily see all of the same data depending on their authorizations.
>>>
>>> Sandboxes are created often. Or, at least much more often than the data
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Yes, sandboxes are created often. The data is likely to be ingested more
>>> frequently than sandboxes will be created.
>>>
>>> Do users typically remove large amounts of data from their sandbox? 1%?
>>> 10%? 99%?
>>>
>>> I don’t have good numbers to share here.
>>>
>>> Assuming data is removed via rules, are the rules applied automatically
>>> to new data under ingest?
>>>
>>> I would say no, although I’m not positive I understand the question.
>>> Users are not removing data from their sandbox per se, but they may delete
>>> data that should then be hidden from their workspace. The data is not really
>>> deleted though and is still visible to other users in other sandboxes. Only
>>> when the deletion is published does it get deleted for everyone.
>>>
>>> On Mar 19, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Mike Drob <madrob@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wait, I'm really confused by what you are describing, Jeff. Sorry if
>>> these are obvious questions, but can you help me get a better grasp of your
>>> use case?
>>>
>>> You have a large amount of data, that is generally readable by all users.
>>> Users create their own sandbox, from which they can later exclude
>>> portions of the global data set.
>>> User can share their sandbox with others, so really we are talking about
>>> sandbox permissions and not so much user permissions.
>>> Sandboxes are created often. Or, at least much more often than the data
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> Are those all accurate statements? If so, can you clarify the following
>>> points:
>>>
>>> Do users typically remove large amounts of data from their sandbox? 1%?
>>> 10%? 99%?
>>> Assuming data is removed via rules, are the rules applied automatically

and

Right?