accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey+li...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: New to Accumulo - Questions on Version Compatibility and Persisting Java Objects
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:36:38 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Geoffry Roberts <threadedblue@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm just getting started with Accumulo and have two questions:
>
>    1. I have hadoop 2.3.0 and zookeeper 3.4.6 running. Should I go with
>    Accumulo 1.5.1 or stick with 1.4.4?
>    2. Is the use of Gora/Avro advised?  Gora seems to require quite a bit
>    of configuration.
>
> I need to persist objects based on EFM (Eclipse Modeling Framework).  I'll
> be generating the EMF classes and I suppose I could generate the JSON and
> XML required by Gora/Avro but I don't want to take on too much.

Hi Geoffry!

Hadoop 2 support is considered stable in the 1.5.x  line. Apache Accumulo
1.4.4 will not work on Hadoop 2. The upcoming 1.4.5 release will include
support for it, but the intention is for it to be used as a transitionary
step to a later release. Some vendors have their own supported release for
the 1.4.x line on Hadoop 2, if that's your sort of thing.

I personally have not used Gora, though I have used Avro to serialize data
stored in Accumulo. The Gora user list is more likely to have information
on how stable the Accumulo backend support is as well as how easy it is to
integrate with EFM.

-Sean