accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <mad...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:46:22 GMT
Thanks, that's really helpful. Couple more questions.

Is a sandbox the same thing as a workspace? Can the terms be used
interchangeably? Just want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting your
answers.

Is it fair to describe each sandbox as a separate index table for the
global data set? And then when users do deletes, it is only reflected in
the index fields, right?
But you can't just delete values from the index because you need to keep
track of the changes in case the user decides to delete globally (after
appropriate authorization checks, etc...)

Because the visibility is part of the key, changing it involves re-writing
the data. Which might be just an index record in your case. However, this
is generally an expensive operation.

I think I need to think on this use case some more, it's definitely
interesting and not something I had considered before.