accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Kunkle <kunkl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:43:09 GMT
New groups are created on the fly by our application when needed. Under the scenario you describe
we’d have to go through all the data in Accumulo whenever a group is created so that users
in the group can see the existing data.

On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:34 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+lists@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Jeff Kunkle <kunklejr@gmail.com> wrote:
> My particular use case meets both of those conditions. I’d like to use a not operator
to soft delete things for specific groups of users, which are assigned a given authorization.
For example, assume I have two groups of users: group1 and group2. If I want to temporarily
hide something from group1 I would add “& !group1” to the visibility. In my case I’m
not really using the NOT operator for access control. The users in the group have access to
the data; they’ve just chosen to hide it from their view.

> This scenario includes rewriting the data with the "& !group1" addition? Why not
just rewrite the data to not include the group1 visibility at all?