accumulo-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Kunkle <kunkl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "NOT" operator in visibility string
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:05:20 GMT
I attempted to simplify the scenario to facilitate discussion, which on second thought may
have been a mistake. Here’s the whole scenario:

Different users have access to different subsets of the data depending on their authorizations
and the visibility of the data. Users “work with” the data in what we call a sandbox.
Sanboxes can be shared with other users (this is the group creation I was talking about earlier).
Deletes to the data would be “scoped” to the sandbox by changing the visibility to add
“& !workspace_name” so that people viewing the workspace wouldn’t see the data but
everyone else would.

On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+lists@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Jeff Kunkle <kunklejr@gmail.com> wrote:
> New groups are created on the fly by our application when needed. Under the scenario
you describe we’d have to go through all the data in Accumulo whenever a group is created
so that users in the group can see the existing data.

> Ah! So your use case is that all data defaults to world readable and then users have
the option of opting out of seeing subsets. Right?

> In your scenario user groups also get to opt-out of seeing data on the fly, yes? Both
require rewriting the data. Does the group creation happen more often?